Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Tough Mudder Training Files - Week 7

Weeks until I get dominated - 3!


Hope I fare better than this guy - OUCH!
Monday - Heavy LB
Barbell Hip Thrusts - 5 x 115- 215lbs, 5 x 5 x 235lbs
Heavy Bag Carries - 5 x 60 yards

Training Result - I felt pretty strong on the hip thrusts and heavy bag carries. I am finally starting to shake this cold which has been dampening my workout intensity down a bit. It's about time too because I need 3 solid weeks of training to get right for the mudder.

Tuesday - Heavy UB
Neutral Grip Chins x 7
Pull Ups x 6
Chins x 5
Seated Military Press 5x 95-155, 4x 175, 135 x 7 to 1 (Rope Chins, Rock Grip Chins, Monkey Chins x 1-2)
Ez Bar Curls & Overhead Triceps Press 5x5

Training Result - This was a great workout! My chin totals went up and I felt reasonably strong on military press as well. I am not really sore today (Wednesday) but it felt good to have a good workout after a run of crappy ones.

Miscellaneous Update - Woke up this morning (Thursday) and the shoulder/lat soreness was pretty good...I'm guessing my intensity level was not up high enough in previous weeks...


Now that's heavy!
Wednesday - KB's & Strongman
KB Swings 10 x 10 x 35lbs (5 x 60 yd Prowlers, 5 x 60 yd Heavy Bag Carries)


Training Result - This workout was Dan John-inspired. He had posted articles on carry heavy crap and swings in the past week or two so I decided to mash them together. He promised some good hammie/glute soreness from this type of swing loading - Check! He mentioned that repetitive rounds of heavy crap carries will add a new dimension to total body training. Check!

Even though I am sore all over this is turning out to be a good week.

Thursday - Bike, Core, & Flex/Mob
30 Minutes x Level 15 x Random.
3x (Pallof Press Series x 5 each,  Hanging Leg Raises x 10, Side Plank Holds + 10lbs x 15sec each)

Training Result - Level 15 got the legs burning hard! This was a great core circuit and hit all the bases. In hindsight, this workout was the starting point for an accumulation of massive total body soreness by Sunday.

Friday - TRX Circuit Day
TRX Split Squat x 5 each
TRX Row-YTWA Combos x 5
TRX Push Ups w/ Two Reebok Steps x 5
1 Leg RDLS w/ 35lb KB's x 5 each
Ab Wheels x 5
Plank Monkey Chin Holds x 5 secs
*8 total rotations*

Training Result - TOTAL SYSTEMIC SORENESS! Whoa

Saturday - LSD (Long, Slow, Distance) Training Run

8 Miles in 93 minutes

Training Result - I was so sore and worn out from Thursday and Friday that this run completely sucked. I even made a run-time decision to add a mile to my planned distance since the mudder course is 2 miles longer after set up. Add a headwind and dead ipod to total body soreness and you have a recipe for a crap run. Gotta do better than this...


Sunday - Recovery (Various Mobility & Flex Work)

Training Result - Definitely putting in my time today...I feel like total crap...my pre-race deload week is looking oh so delicious right now...


Previous Series Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment